SHHS Choirs Auditions
Auditions for the 2019-2020 school year have taken place.
If you missed these, but you'd still like to audition, please email Mr. Bills.
- Auditions will take place at the end of April/beginning of May after school in the SHHS Choir Room. You may only audition if you fully intend on being part of one of these ensembles next year. Check your class schedule for next year to be sure you have enough room to participate.
- SOPHOMORE WOMEN ONLY: Sophomore women may audition and earn a spot in Serendipity. Concert Choir is only open to junior and senior women.
- SOPHOMORE MEN ONLY: Sophomore men may audition and earn a spot in Concert Choir, but they must also be simultaneously enrolled in Men’s Camerata. No exceptions.
- If you are interested in Singers, you must have room in your schedule for both Singers and Concert Choir. Members of Singers must be simultaneously enrolled in Concert Choir. There are no exceptions.
- Anyone interested in auditioning for Singers must be available to attend Singers Retreat in August and also be available for performances throughout the month of December.
- Be on time for your audition. Arrive early to avoid being late. You should arrive already warmed-up vocally.
Sign-up for an audition time online, and do not be late for that time! You must also have the necessary paperwork already filled out. The audition form is an online document that must be submitted prior to your audition. This form can be found at www.shhschoirs.org. There is an additional signature page that must be signed by both the student and a parent prior to auditioning. The signature page can also be picked up outside the Choir Room at SHHS.
- Select one song from the following list. Prepare to sing the melody (soprano part) of the first verse only, from memory. Your song will be unaccompanied, but you will be given a starting pitch (which you may choose ahead of time).
- America the Beautiful
- My Country, Tis of Thee
- For the Beauty of the Earth
- Vocal Range Check. You will be asked to sing a few scales so that we can check your vocal range and tessitura (how high and low your voice can sing beautifully). Be prepared to hear your voice do things that it maybe hasn’t done yet. Don’t waste time by complaining to the director that you “can’t do that” or laughing because you feel different doing this part of the audition. Just do your best and be yourself!
- Aural Memory Check. You will be asked to sing several pitches that you hear from the piano. You will hear the pitches only once before you’re asked to sing them back to me. Listen carefully, and then sing back to me what you hear on a neutral syllable, like “La.”
- Sight Reading. You will be asked to sight-sing a few measures of a melodic line, using solfege syllables, pitch numbers, or humming.
- Please wear best dressed for your audition.
- Be prepared to move quickly through the audition. There are many students waiting to audition and your audition time is limited to only five minutes.
- You will not be given the result at the time of your audition. The audition lists will be posted outside the choir room and online at www.shhschoirs.org by the first Friday in May.
- Singers callbacks will be held the 1st Thursday in May, 4:30-6:30pm, by invitation only.
- All men in Concert Choir will rehearse and perform with the combined Men’s Camerata throughout the school year. This will include a few “Morning Munch Rehearsals,” which are held 7:00-7:45am and many after school rehearsals on Collaboration Days.
- All sophomore women invited to be in Serendipity, are also required to learn the music on their own and perform with Women's Chorale for their performances at the Fall Showcase, Wintertide, Festival, and Spring Concert.