SHHS Choirs Auditions
- All auditions will be in-person with Mr. Bills. Auditioners will be positioned 10 feet away from Mr. Bills, so students are permitted to audition maskless, but may also wear a mask if they choose.
- Auditions for all students will take place during April 22-29. Sign-ups will begin Monday, April 12th online.
- You may only audition if you fully intend on being part of one (or more) of these ensembles next year. Check your class schedule for next year to be sure you have enough room to participate fully.
- Concert Choir is only open to juniors and seniors.
- SOPHOMORE WOMEN ONLY: Sophomore women may audition and ear a spot in Serendipity, or simply enroll in Women's Chorale without auditioning.
- SOPHOMORE MEN ONLY: Sophomore men may audition and earn a spot in Concert Choir, but they must also be simultaneously enrolled in Men’s Camerata. No exceptions.
- If you are interested in Singers, you must have room in your schedule for both Singers and Concert Choir. Members of Singers must be simultaneously enrolled in Concert Choir. There are no exceptions.
- Anyone interested in auditioning for Singers must be available to attend Singers Retreat in August 9-10, and also be available for several performances throughout the month of December.
Sign-up for an audition time using the link on www.shhschoirs.org. You must have the necessary online forms filled out prior to your audition--including the Online Audition Form and the
- Select one song from the following list. Prepare to sing, from memory, the melody (soprano part) of the first verse only. You will be unaccompanied, but you will be given a starting pitch (which you may choose ahead of time).
- My Country, Tis of Thee
- For the Beauty of the Earth
- America the Beautiful
- Vocal Range Check. You will be asked to sing a few scales so that we can check your vocal range and tessitura (how high and low your voice can sing beautifully). Be prepared to hear your voice do things that it maybe hasn’t done yet. Don’t waste time by complaining to the director that you “can’t do that” or laughing because you feel different doing this part of the audition. Just do your best and be yourself!
- Aural Memory Check. You will be asked to sing several pitches that you hear from the piano. You will hear the pitches only once before you’re asked to sing them back to me. Listen carefully, and then sing back to me what you hear on a neutral syllable, like “La.”
- Sight Reading. You will be asked to sight-sing a few measures of a melodic line, using solfege syllables, pitch numbers, or humming.
- Please wear best dressed for your audition, and arrive early!
- Be prepared to move quickly through the audition. There are many students waiting to audition and your audition time is limited to only five minutes.
- You will not be given the result at the time of your audition. The audition lists will be posted outside the choir room and online at www.shhschoirs.org on Friday, April 30th.
- Singers callbacks will be held on Thursday, April 22nd, 5-7pm, by invitation only..
- All men in Concert Choir will rehearse and perform with the combined Men’s Camerata throughout the school year. This will include a few “Morning Munch Rehearsals,” which are held 7:00-7:45am and many after school rehearsals on Collaboration Days.
- All sophomore women invited to be in Serendipity, are also required to learn the music on their own and perform with Women's Chorale for their performances at the Fall Showcase, Wintertide, Festival, and Spring Concert.